Wednesday, June 19, 2013

KTV - Karaoke

Before I arrived in China I had no idea how popular karaoke is, but more importantly how seriously some people take it. I never realised that by getting up and having a sing song for a laugh with my friends or colleagues I could receive such comments as “You’re not very good at singing” and “I didn’t like that”….it’s fair to say the Chinese can be a little blunt.

My first visit to one of the many KTV’s located around Wuhan was whilst I was at my first school to celebrate Teacher’s day (One of the many arbitrary holidays out here). Our party included me and about 20 Chinese women. I thought…well its karaoke, we’ll probably get a few drinks down us and then all get up and have a go. No such luck, the room was deadly silent as I was handed the microphone and told to choose a song, as their guest it would be rude of me not to sing first. Nobody was talking waiting in anticipation; I rushed through the computer trying to find a song….I settled on Michael Buble – Home, best of a bad bunch. Everyone stared at me as I started to sing…now fortunately for me my dulcet tones won over the crowd before the first chorus and everyone was on their feet applauding. But for you guys out there not quite as talented as me, be worried as they can be a tough crowd. Before I knew it I was rapping Eminem, imitating the rat pack and working the crowd Freddie Mercury style. Some people still talk about that night, but mainly because I got too drunk and was sick in the corner, not really anything to do with the singing.


KTV is extremely popular here amongst all age groups so I’d be surprised if you managed to spend any length of time in China without going a few times. It’s best to not get embarrassed as Chinese people don’t have the same attitude, getting up and singing in front of people doesn’t seem to bother them one bit. KTV can be a great night especially before heading to a bar. Each party gets their own room fully equipped with microphones and a plasma screen to follow the lyrics of your chosen song as well as table service for ordering food and drink, although be careful because the bill can really add up. Some of my best nights out in China have been in a big group of about 20-30 people at KTV, everyone can have a go at singing but it’s not the focal point and has a similar feel to a house party. Although I have been with just 3 or 4 other people before and it’s not quite the same, many Chinese people like going in small groups so they can get more singing time…work on their pitch, needless to say that’s a straight red from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment