Monday, April 1, 2013

Breakfast in Wuhan


I’m sure this will be the first of many blogs we do talking about a topic that the Chinese as a nation are immensely proud of, that topic being food. Now whilst the large majority of the Chinese population are completely oblivious to what is eaten in other countries and many seem to be under the impression that a westerners diets consists solely of pizzas and burgers, there is certainly no mistake when they talk about their own food. It is undeniable that Chinese cuisine offers both variety and fantastic flavour at an affordable price. Where it is common in England to make a comment with an acquaintance about the weather or something currently in the news, in China people ask each other if "they’ve eaten?" to make small talk. If I ever run into any of my neighbours in my apartment complex it is always the first question they ask me.  

Each time I’ve been invited for dinner to one of my Chinese friends's home I’ve had such delicious food which unfortunately I’m still yet to replicate in my own kitchen. Walking the streets of Wuhan you really get a good idea of how important flavour is as even the cheapest seemingly simple dishes use a large variety of spices and sauces. Street food markets offer endless delicious, affordable snacks and play host to some exceptionally skilled cooks, it’s always a real pleasure watching fresh noodles being produced from scratch within a matter of minutes right out on the street.

Because there is so much to talk about regarding food in China today I’m just going to talk a little bit about breakfast. Noodles are very common for breakfast and there is one dish in particular which is synonymous with Wuhan “Re Gan Mian”  热干面 the translation being “Hot dry noodles”. It has a flavour not too dissimilar to a satay sauce and has a nice spicy kick to it. If you travel to other parts of China you simply cannot find it which bemuses me as it is so delicious and eaten by many people. However I can’t say I took to eating it when I first arrived as the thought of spicy noodles for breakfast wasn’t particularly appetizing to me, but now I am without a doubt a convert. I probably eat a bowl for breakfast about 4 or 5 times a week, my local breakfast place always start preparing me a bowl when the see me walking down the street.




Another common breakfast snack commonly eaten is steamed buns referred to as “Bao zi” 包子 . There are many varieties containing different fillings with both meat and vegetarian options. A lot of the bread you'll find in China can be quite sweet tasting but not in the case of Bao zi so they’re often very popular with the foreigners that come to China. It is easy to recognize places which sell Bao zi as you can see them steaming on huge steam barrels at the shop fronts which is very common sight throughout China’s towns and cities.




One dish I eat regularly is “Dou Pi” 豆皮 it’s traditionally a breakfast dish but I usually have it as a snack later in the day as its quite a heavy dish. It consists of sticky rice, eggs, beef, mushrooms and beans which is stir-fried and wrapped in a soy skin. I would say it’s not the healthiest of dishes as there is a lot of oil in but it I really recommend it for anyone who spends time in Wuhan. It is cooked in huge woks and if you ask for a portion they’ll usually cut off a couple of squared segments for you a place them in a small bowl for you.



Breakfast is very affordable here, wherever you are in the city these dishes will be readily available nearby and the Chinese are always so happy when you embrace their food.

No comments:

Post a Comment