Friday, May 3, 2013

Trip to Beijing


After two and half years of being in China I finally made to it Beijing much to the amusement of my Chinese co-workers who couldn’t believe I still hadn’t been. People say that if you haven’t been to the Great Wall of China “you’re not a man” as ridiculous as this saying is I’m relieved that I can finally say I’ve been to stop the sniggering. Meandering through the hill tops into the distance on the outskirts of Beijing The Great Wall of China is a breath-taking site and lived up to my expectations.  My only slight complaint would be the Subway fast food restaurant at the base of the wall, the faint scent of a meatball sub taking away that authenticity that makes the Wall so fantastic.  I visited the Mu Tian Yu part of the wall which has both a cable cart and toboggan for getting up and down however I opted to walk up which wasn’t as strenuous as our tour guide suggested. He was adamant the cable cart was the only feasible route up…pretty sure he was working on commission (Beware of things like this, it happens a lot). Beijing is known for its poor air quality and smog, if you mention Beijing to people in other parts of China its one of the first thing they’ll comment on. However I was very fortunate during my visit to have clear blue skies meaning my view of the scenery from the watchtower on the wall of the surrounding landscape was stunning.

Wuhan being one of the larger cities in China has well connected transport links, you can reach Beijing in less than 5 hours by high-speed rail. It’s a fast very comfortable journey which matches trains in Europe in terms of reliability and comfort. You can also fly to Beijing in about 2 hours from Wuhan but with all the waiting around at either end the train takes a similar amount of time for a cheaper price. Even though Beijing has more foreigners compared to Wuhan English is still not really spoken so the city can be difficult to navigate if you don’t have any language skills. Fortunately many of the hotels and hostels understand the necessity to cater for foreign visitors and offer assistance for tourists who want to organize day trips or find authentic restaurants to eat in.

One thing I was excited to try during my visit was the worldwide famous Beijing roast duck of which I’d heard mixed reviews before trying it for myself. Having searched on the internet and talked with the staff at the hostel we finally decided on a place to go from the many restaurants that offer this dish. The chef brought a whole cooked duck to our table and skilfully sliced it on front of us, although the meat is quite fatty the sauce and pancakes were delicious and completely different to anything I’ve tasted before in Chinese restaurants in England. The sauce was very rich but I thoroughly enjoyed it and the next time I go back to Beijing I will definitely go back to the same restaurant!! I’ve put a link below if anyone visits Beijing and wants to see for themselves.


Beijing has a lot to offer and is well worth a trip for the weekend or during the many holidays foreign teachers get throughout a school year.


No comments:

Post a Comment