Thursday, June 5, 2014

Strange Food

The Chinese couldn’t be more proud of their cuisine and rightly so, it is delicious and full of flavour and I thoroughly look forward to getting back to my favourite dishes every time I return to China. My friends and family back in England have asked me on several occasions if I have eaten anything strange or a bit weird during my time in China which from my experience some foreign teachers coming out to China initially have some concern over. There are a few things that are commonly eaten that aren’t exactly “normal” in the U.K but on the whole it’s mainly meat, fish and vegetables and you would have to be an extremely fussy eater to not find any local food you like to eat.

If anybody has seen the TV show “An Idiot Abroad” with Karl Pilkington there is a scene in Beijing when he visits a food market to find caterpillars and cockroaches being barbecued.  From my experience I would say that food such as this isn’t commonly eaten and is a bit of a novelty/tourist attraction with most Chinese people agreeing that these types of food are also disgusting. Having said that two of the most popular things to eat in Wuhan are Duck’s neck and Chicken’s feet which aren’t much better. Duck’s neck is fine I suppose, it’s a bit tough and there isn’t exactly a lot of meat but it tastes perfectly acceptable but as for Chicken’s feet I simply cannot understand the appeal. There is absolutely no meat on it and I cannot see how it’s comparable to a wing or bit of breast. Chinese people also proceed to spit the majority of it on the floor but they speak of a wonderful flavour that cannot be replicated in any other part of the Chicken…unless you like nibbling on toenails though I would give it a miss.

One extremely palatable surprise is Bullfrog, if you ever see them in the tanks in the supermarket they look revolting, I actually can’t even bring myself to go near them. I unknowingly ate bullfrog on a staff dinner during my first year and was a little shocked when somebody told me what I was eating but it’s become a local favourite of mine. I still can’t bring myself to buy a live one in Wal-Mart and take it home to prepare but I often order it in restaurants.
 
 

Without a doubt the most disgusting thing I have eaten in China is a type of egg know as Pi Dan 皮蛋. I have been told by my Chinese friends that it’s made by preserving eggs in a mixture of clay, ash, salt, quicklime, and rice hulls for several weeks to several months, depending on the method of processing. I have seen it done with duck, chicken and quail eggs all leaving equally awful results. The yolk changes a greyish colour while the egg white changes to a dark brown and it gives off a sulphur smell….It gets a right pong circulated the room.
 

Don’t let any of the above put you off because Chinese food is brilliant, my only criticism is there isn’t a lot of variety so you will find yourselves eating similar ingredients cooked in similar ways frequently but for value and flavour there isn’t anything in The UK that compares to it. You can eat out at very cheap prices and their attention to flavour isn’t compromised at all.
 
 
Karl Pilkington in Beijing

No comments:

Post a Comment